United States Sales Tax Rates and Calculators
Plus Tax Amount
Minus Tax Amount
Simply enter an amount into our calculator above to estimate how much sales tax you'll likely see in United States. Afterwards, hit calculate and projected results will then be shown right down here.
To see more detailed info and gain additional insight, continue reading below!
Table of Contents
The United State is a large country that spans across an entire continent, from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Its system of governance includes many different levels and sections of government scattered across the nation. Each one of these, in their own respective locations, are able to set their own sales tax rates and as a result, sales tax can vary wildly depending on your exact location. In some areas, an entire state may have the same sales tax rate while in other areas, sales tax might be different even between two neighboring zip codes.
Our database of sales tax rates covers over 70,000+ locations within the entirety of the United States. That's all 50 states while also including Washington DC and Puerto Rico.
To find the most exact rates, search based on zip code at the top of the page. Otherwise, you can search for a larger geographical location and you'll see an average rate for that entire location along with other additional information.
For our international visitors, please note that sales tax in the United States is entirely paid by just the buyer in a sales transaction. This is different from most other countries in the world where sales tax manifests in the form of value added tax (VAT) where all parties in a transaction contribute to the tax.
List of States and Territories
- To see more details for a specific region, simply click or tap on their name in the table below.
- Alternatively, you can directly search for a specific location with our multi input search box at the top of the page.
|Region||Average Sales Tax Rate|
More From Investomatica:
For income tax, please visit our United States Income Tax Rates and Paycheck Calculator page.
- Last reviewed on January 22, 2023.
- The content shown on this page is only for informational purposes only. Nothing here constitutes tax advice or advice of any other kind.
- The data here only represents the estimated common sales tax rate in this particular location. Exceptions may exist depending on the type of business, the type of product sold, and other factors.
- If you notice a miscalculation or error with our calculator (most likely caused by a typo somewhere), feel free to direct message us on twitter and let us know. However, if you have specific tax questions, please consult a licensed tax professional.
Investomatica Comment Policy
Discussions are welcome. Please stay on topic and remember to be kind to each other. If you would like to report a bug or issue with one of our pages or calculators, please direct message us on twitter instead.