Prince Edward Island, Canada Sales Tax Calculator and Details
Plus Tax Amount
Minus Tax Amount
Simply enter an amount into our calculator above to estimate how much sales tax you'll likely see in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Afterwards, hit calculate and projected results will then be shown right down here.
To see more detailed info and gain additional insight, continue reading below!
Table of Contents
The cumulative sales tax rate for 2023 in Prince Edward Island, Canada is 15%. This total rate simply consists of a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) of 15%.
Sales Tax Breakdown For Prince Edward Island, Canada
|Sales Tax Type||Sales Tax Rate|
The Harmonized Sale Tax (HST) replaced the previous combination of the provincial sales tax (PST) and the goods and services tax (GST) in Prince Edward Island. HST is a tax administered by the federal government through the Canada Revenue Agency.
HST Point of Sale Rebates
Prince Edward Island provides targeted relief from the provincial component of the HST by providing point of sale rebates on the following qualifying goods:
- heating oil except natural gas, propane, wood, wood pellets, and heavy fuel oil
- children's clothing except costumes, sports protective equipment, and diapers
- children's footwear designed for babies or designed for girls or boys with an insole length of 24.25 centimetres or less except sports related footwear, footwear designed to prevent bodily injury, and a few others
Generally, purchasers are not required to take any steps in order to access these point of sale rebates. Where a person purchases a qualifying good at a retail business, the retailer may automatically provide the purchaser with the point of sale rebate, crediting the provincial component of the HST and only collecting the 5% federal component.
If the retail business is unable or unwilling to provide a point of sale rebate on the purchase of qualifying goods, the taxpayer may apply to the CRA for a refund of the provincial component of the HST.
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) administers these point of sale rebates on behalf of the Province.
For more information about the items and services that are exempt from Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), please refer to our main Canada sales tax page.
Quick Reference Table
- We've compiled a table of common values below according to a sales tax rate of 15% in Prince Edward Island, Canada.
- To maintain clarity and consistency, all numbers below have been rounded in the standard fashion.
- If your value falls outside of the range presented, just input your desired value into our calculator above.
More From Investomatica:
For income tax, please visit our Prince Edward Island Income Tax Rates and Calculator page.
- Last reviewed on January 22, 2023.
- The content shown on this page is only for informational purposes only. Nothing here constitutes tax advice or advice of any other kind.
- The data here only represents the estimated common sales tax rate in this particular location.
- If you notice a miscalculation or error with our calculator (most likely caused by a typo somewhere), feel free to direct message us on twitter and let us know. However, if you have specific tax questions, please consult a licensed tax professional.
Investomatica Comment Policy
Discussions are welcome. Please stay on topic and remember to be kind to each other. If you would like to report a bug or issue with one of our pages or calculators, please direct message us on twitter instead.