Ontario, Canada Sales Tax Calculator and Details
Plus Tax Amount
Minus Tax Amount
Simply enter an amount into our calculator above to estimate how much sales tax you'll likely see in Ontario, Canada. Afterwards, hit calculate and projected results will then be shown right down here.
To see more detailed info and gain additional insight, continue reading below!
Table of Contents
The cumulative sales tax rate for 2023 in Ontario, Canada is 13%. This total rate simply consists of a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) of 13%.
Sales Tax Breakdown For Ontario, Canada
|Sales Tax Type||Sales Tax Rate|
The harmonized sales tax (HST), which is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), is composed of a federal portion at 5% and a provincial portion of 8%.
Although the HST replaced the federal goods and services tax (GST) and the retail sales tax (RST) on July 1, 2010, RST still applies to certain premiums of insurance and benefits plans and on private purchases of specified vehicles.
HST Point of Sale Rebates
Ontario provides relief on the provincial portion of the HST on specific items through a point of sale rebate which happens automatically at the time of purchase.
You are not required to pay the Ontario portion (8%) of the HST on items such as books, children's clothing and footwear, children's car seats and car booster seats, diapers, qualifying food and beverages, and newspapers.
The Canada Revenue Agency administers the rebate on behalf of the Government of Ontario. If the point of sale rebate is not provided by the supplier, you may claim a rebate by submitting the appropriate form found on the Canada Revenue Agency website.
A brief selection of more details about items eligible for a point of sale rebate are as follows.
- that contain news, editorials, feature stories or other information of interest to the general public
- that are published at regular intervals (typically on a daily, weekly or monthly basis)
- but not flyers, inserts, magazines, periodicals and shoppers
Qualifying prepared food and beverages
- that are ready for immediate consumption and are sold for a total price (for all qualifying items purchased, excluding HST) of not more than $4.00
- a printed book or an update of a printed book
- an audio book (for example, all or substantially all of which is a spoken reading of a printed book)
- a bound or unbound printed version of a scripture of any religion
- a printed book and a read only medium (for example, a CDROM) whose content is related and integrated with the book's content and when sold together as a single package
- a printed book and a read only medium and/or a right to access a website when sold together as a single package, and if specifically designed for students enrolled in a qualifying course, such as educational courses of elementary or secondary schools.
- designed for babies, girls and boys up to and including girls Canada Standard Size 16 and boys Canada Standard Size 20 including baby bibs, bunting blankets and receiving blankets
- designated for girls and boys in sizes small, medium or large if the clothing does not have a designated Canada Standard Size
- children's hosiery or stretchy socks, hats, scarves, gloves and mittens in sizes and styles designated for children
- excluding costumes, adult sized garments even if acquired for a child, garments and accessories designed to prevent bodily injury, like sports protective equipment
- designed for babies and girls and boys up to and including girls size 6 and boys size 6
- without a numerical size that is designated for girls or boys in size small, medium or large
- excluding skates, rollerblades, ski boots, footwear that has cleats, or similar footwear, adult sized footwear even if acquired for a child, and footwear designed to prevent bodily injury
Children's car seats and car booster seats
- that are restraint systems or booster cushions that conform with Transport Canada's safety requirements for Standards 213, 213.1, 213.2 and 213.5 as described under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act
- excluding children's car seats and car booster seats that do not meet Transport Canada safety standards and travel systems that are a combination stroller carrier and car seat sold in a single package
- cloth and disposable diapers designed for babies and children
- diaper inserts and liners
- rubber pants and training pants
Incontinence products will be zero rated under HST, in accordance with current GST rules.
Ontario First Nations Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) rebate
Eligible First Nations people, bands and band councils of an Ontario First Nations reserve, may claim a rebate of the 8% Ontario portion of the HST paid on qualifying goods and services purchased off reserve.
Vendors can provide this rebate at the time of purchase or customers can apply for the rebate from the Ministry of Finance after they have completed a purchase.
The rebate can only be claimed on qualifying goods or services purchased for the exclusive personal use of eligible First Nations people, bands or band councils of an Ontario First Nations reserve.
For more information about the items and services that are exempt from Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), please refer to our main Canada sales tax page.
Quick Reference Sales Tax Table
- We've compiled a table of common values below according to a sales tax rate of 13% in Ontario, Canada.
- To maintain clarity and consistency, all numbers below have been rounded in the standard fashion.
- If your value falls outside of the range presented, just input your desired value into our calculator above.
More From Investomatica:
For income tax, please visit our Ontario Income Tax Rates and Calculator page.
- Last reviewed on January 22, 2023.
- The content shown on this page is only for informational purposes only. Nothing here constitutes tax advice or advice of any other kind.
- The data here only represents the estimated common sales tax rate in this particular location.
- If you notice a miscalculation or error with our calculator (most likely caused by a typo somewhere), feel free to direct message us on twitter and let us know. However, if you have specific tax questions, please consult a licensed tax professional.
Investomatica Comment Policy
Discussions are welcome. Please stay on topic and remember to be kind to each other. If you would like to report a bug or issue with one of our pages or calculators, please direct message us on twitter instead.