Sell smarter with estimates on profit, fees, margins, breakevens, and more for Mercari
Total Profit Per ItemError, Please Try Again
Total Profit / Total Revenue
Return on Cost
Total Profit / Item Cost
Minimum Price to Profit
Average Fee Rate
Total Fees / Total Revenue
Payment Processing Fee
Summary of Results
Enter your values into our calculator above to estimate what your fees and profit might potentially be when selling on Mercari. You'll then get your projected results and a quick summary down here.
To learn more about mercari fees, how discounts work, and other useful info, so that you can gain a deeper understanding of how they affect your sales, scroll down to the detail section below!
Investomatica's Mercari Calculator
Mobile friendly and easy to use web application
- A modern, clean and dynamic interface that's easy to use and works just as well on mobile phones as it does on desktop computers. No need for a separate and clunky app on your phone that wastes your storage space. Simply bookmark this page on your mobile browser and you're good to go! Many mobile browsers also let you pin bookmarks onto your home screen for the ultimate convenience. Our web application is also completely free to use.
Automatic calculations and saving
- Our mercari fee calculator will automatically calculate and re-calculate as you enter and change values.
- Visit often? Our calculator saves you time by automatically saving your last entered numbers and options so you can pick up right where you left off. Note that all data is only stored locally on your browser. If you want to reset the calculator, there's a handy "reset calculator" button. Alternatively, clearing your browser cache works too.
- Our mercari profit calculator is the only one that includes breakeven analysis for every single scenario that can be configured given our list of options. Give yourself a much better idea of how to price your items and sales by knowing the minimum price required to make a profit. (Note that mercari requires all prices to be in whole numbers)
- If you notice that the fees have changed or if you notice a major miscalculation or error with our mercari fee calculator, feel free to direct message us on twitter and let us know.
- Prices on mercari require a whole dollar amount without any cents. For example, setting a price of $11.05 would not be allowed while setting a price of exactly $11 would be. It's part of their brand image and philosophy around simplicity. As a result, our mercari fee calculator only accepts whole dollar amounts for the "sold price" field.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Mercari?
Mercari is a community-powered marketplace platform with a focus on simplicity, ease of use, and a more casual environment for buying and selling a variety of items. The platform operates in the United States and its origin country of Japan, where it was first launched in July of 2013 and has since grown to become the largest marketplace platform in Japan according to the volume of transactions. The platform mostly caters to individuals as opposed to businesses.
How are fees calculated on mercari?
The most common fees are calculated based on your item price while other miscellaneous and rare fees depend on certain obscure conditions and account options. Making use of a mercari fee calculator helps with understanding the common fees.
How much does mercari take in fees?
As far as each individual sale goes, mercari takes a small percentage of the total amount. The exact fee will vary based on your item price. This mercari fee calculator provides the estimated fees you can expect to see.
Details about mercari fees
Selling fees on mercari are extremely simple. For the most part, there are just two main fees. The seller fee and the payment processing fee. Other miscellaneous fees may include fees related to deposits, fees related to cancelled orders, fees related to legal matters, and fees related to using third party authentication methods, among others. However, our focus is not on these other obscure fees so they will not be covered here.
- The seller fee is a flat rate of 10% regardless of what you sell or the price of the item.
- Note that this fee is only calculated based on the item's sold price. So this fee isn't applied on the shipping or on the sales tax, if any.
Payment Processing Fee
- The fee to process payments is 2.9% + $0.30.
- As with the seller fee, this is only calculated based on the item's sold price.
Promotions and Discounts on Mercari
Items on mercari can be promoted with the "promote" button. This entails lowering your price by a set amount chosen by mercari. How exactly this works depends on the kind of promotion you choose as there are two kinds.
The first kind is simply called "Promote". With this choice, you'll be prompted to lower your price by 5% below the historically lowest price and in return, mercari will boost your listing in the search results while also notifying everyone who has liked your item. There are limits to how many listings you can promote a day and how often you can promote a listing. Note that the price reduction is permanent for the listing you apply this promotion on. Additionally, the price of an item cannot fall lower than $9.
The second kind is called "Offer to Likers". As the name suggests, this is a promotion that is only sent out to the people who have liked your item. So there is no boost in the search results. With this choice, you'll be prompted to lower your price by 10% below the historically lowest price and mercari will notify up to 50 people who have liked your item. This promotion for your likers will only last 24 hours, after which the price of your item will go back up to your originally set price. Additionally, the price of an item cannot fall below $6.
These limitations help to prevent promotion spam.
For more details, check out the below table.
|Promote||Offer to likers|
|Minimum price drop||5%+||10%+|
|Who will see it?||Everyone.||Most recent likers (up to 50).|
|Can the action be taken multiple times on the same listing?||Yes, but it must be an additional 5%+ below historical lowest price.||Yes, but it must be an additional 10%+ below historical lowest price.|
|Is the price drop permanent?||Yes.||No, expires after 24 hours.|
|Is the new price binding||Yes.||Yes, until it expires after 24 hours.|
|Are there limitations?||Yes, you can promote up to 10 items per 24 hours.||There are no limits on the number of items eligible for this feature. Only the top 50 likers are notified per item.|
|Pricing limitations?||New price cannot be less than $9.||New price cannot be less than $6.|
To incorporate a discount into our mercari fee calculator, simply enter in the lowered sale price.
Notes about Sales Tax
Since October 1st, 2019, mercari now automatically calculates, collects, and remits sales tax on behalf of all applicable sellers in the US. The sales tax will not cut into your profit as it is paid for by the buyer. Additionally, none of the fee calculations include sales tax, so the fees are not affected either. In other words, sellers basically don't have to worry about sales tax at all.
- While we try our best to stay up to date with changes in fee rules and structures, estimated results are just estimates. They are not a guarantee of future results. It is your responsibility to conduct your own due diligence before making any business decision. Nothing here constitutes advice.
- If you notice that the fees have changed or if you notice a major miscalculation or error with our calculator, feel free to direct message us on twitter and let us know. However, if you have specific questions regarding your mercari account, please directly contact mercari support.
Ratings for Mercari Calculator
Most Relevant Reviews
Investomatica Comment Policy
Discussions are welcome. Please stay on topic and remember to be kind to each other. If you would like to report a bug or issue with one of our pages or calculators, please direct message us on twitter instead.