Vietnam Salary Calculator
Easily estimate take home pay after income tax so you can have an idea of what to possibly expect when planning your budget
Last reviewed on January 29, 2023
Income Before Tax
Take Home Pay
Average Tax Rate
₫ = Vietnamese Dong
Income Before Tax
Take Home Pay
Average Tax Rate
Table of Contents
Enter your employment income into the salary calculator above to estimate how taxes in Vietnam may affect your finances. You'll then get your estimated take home pay, an estimated breakdown of your potential tax liability, and a quick summary down here so you can have a better idea of what to possibly expect when planning your budget.
This salary calculator also works as an income tax calculator for Vietnam, as it shows you how much income tax you have to pay based on your salary and personal details.
To learn more about , its income tax, and tax brackets, so that you can get a deeper understanding of how your budget and finances may be affected, scroll down to the detail section below!
Quick Facts about Vietnam
- Name(s) in Native Language(s):Việt Nam
- Main Language(s):Vietnamese
- Currency:Vietnamese Dong (₫)
- Total Population:96,208,984
- Most Populous City:Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
- Time Zone(s):UTC+7
- International Phone Code:+84
- Driving Side:Right
- Climate:Ranges from subtropical to tropical with a rainy season in the summer
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the income tax rate in Vietnam?
The personal income tax rate in Vietnam is progressive and ranges from 5% to 35% depending on your income for residents while non-residents are taxed at a flat rate of 20%. This income tax calculator can help estimate your average income tax rate and your take home pay.
How many income tax brackets are there in Vietnam?
The income tax system in Vietnam has seven different tax brackets for residents. For more details, check out our detail section.
Vietnam Income Tax Brackets and Other Information
For resident taxpayers, the personal income tax system in Vietnam for employment income is a progressive tax system. This means that your income is split into multiple brackets where lower brackets are taxed at lower rates and higher brackets are taxed at higher rates. Tax rates range from 5% to 35%.
For 2022 tax year
|Taxable Income (VND)||Tax Rate|
|From 60,000,000 to 120,000,000||10%|
|From 120,000,000 to 216,000,000||15%|
|From 216,000,000 to 384,000,000||20%|
|From 384,000,000 to 624,000,000||25%|
|From 624,000,000 to 960,000,000||30%|
|From 960,000,000 onwards||35%|
A standard deduction exists for residents in the form of a personal allowance which helps to lower your taxable income.
Non-resident taxpayers are subject to a flat rate of 20% for employment income and are not eligible for the personal allowance.
For both residents and non-residents, tax rates differ for income that does not come from normal employment. That said, our calculator is focused purely on normal employment income.
Social Security in Vietnam
The social security system in Vietnam is comprehensive and consists of various insurance systems including ones covering sickness, maternity, work related accident and injury, retirement and death, health, and unemployment.
Mandatory contributions are shared between employers and employees.
There is a maximum cap on the income applicable for calculating contributions which depends on the minimum wage. For Vietnam, there exists different minimum wages depending on whether one is working in the public or private sector. For the purposes of social security, the minimum wage from the public sector is used.
All mandatory contributions to social security are tax deductible.
Foreign individuals also have to contribute with the exception of the unemployment insurance.
Resident status and income tax in Vietnam
Individuals that are considered to be residents for tax purposes are subject to income tax on worldwide income. On the other hand, individuals that are considered to be non-residents for tax purposes are subject to income tax on only income sourced from Vietnam while working in Vietnam.
The resident taxpayer status applies to anyone that either has a permanent residence in Vietnam or stays in Vietnam for at least 183 days in either a calendar year or a period of twelve months from when they arrive in the country. For foreigners, simply renting a location with a lease term of at least 183 days within a tax year will also have their location considered to be a permanent residence.
Everyone that does not fit any of the resident criteria would then be considered to be non-residents for tax purposes.
Calculate Your Salary in Other Parts of Asia Pacific
- The content shown on this page is strictly for educational purposes only. It does not represent advice nor is it a substitute for a professional advisor.
- Estimated results are just estimates. They are not a guarantee of future results.
- While internal calculations are not rounded, all final resultant numbers are rounded normally with numbers ending in 0.5 and above being rounded up.
- Tax situations vary widely and calculations can get very complex. This salary calculator only provides a rough estimate according to the most common scenarios for standard employment income that comes from an employer. If you are self-employed, your taxes might differ.
- There may be additional deductions, credits, exemptions, allowances, reliefs, etc depending on many factors. Some factors are about your family such as the number of dependents, children, relatives, parents, etc. Other factors may include mortgage payments, property depreciation, charitible donations, additional voluntary retirement contributions, etc. Whether or not you are handicapped and/or disabled may also sometimes be an additional factor.
- Depending on region and jurisdiction, salary bonuses may be treated and taxed differently from standard salary.
- Calculators from other sites may show slightly different numbers due to different deductions/credits being included or they are based on data from a different year.
- Generally, we review changes once a year since tax codes usually change once a year. If you notice a major miscalculation or error with our salary calculator (most likely caused by a typo somewhere), feel free to direct message us on twitter and let us know. However, if you have specific questions about your own personal situation, please consult a licensed tax professional.
Ratings for Vietnam Salary Calculator
Most Relevant Reviews
Investomatica Comment Policy
Discussions are welcome. Please stay on topic and remember to be kind to each other. If you would like to report a bug or issue with one of our pages or calculators, please direct message us on twitter instead.