Colombia Salary Calculator
Easily estimate take home pay after income tax so you can have an idea of what to possibly expect when planning your budget
Last reviewed on January 29, 2023
Income Before Tax
Take Home Pay
Average Tax Rate
$ = Colombian Peso
Income Before Tax
Pension Solidarity Fund
Take Home Pay
Tax Value Unit (UVT)
Average Tax Rate
Table of Contents
Enter your employment income into the salary calculator above to estimate how taxes in Colombia may affect your finances. You'll then get your estimated take home pay, an estimated breakdown of your potential tax liability, and a quick summary down here so you can have a better idea of what to possibly expect when planning your budget.
This salary calculator also works as an income tax calculator for Colombia, as it shows you how much income tax you have to pay based on your salary and personal details.
To learn more about , its income tax, and tax brackets, so that you can get a deeper understanding of how your budget and finances may be affected, scroll down to the detail section below!
Quick Facts about Colombia
- Main Language(s):Spanish
- Currency:Colombian Peso ($)
- Total Population:50,372,424
- Most Populous City:Bogotá
- Time Zone(s):UTC-5
- International Phone Code:+57
- Driving Side:Right
- Climate:Ranges from tropical to savanna to desert, generally hot
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the income tax rate in Colombia?
The personal income tax rate in Colombia is progressive and ranges from 0% to 39% depending on your income. This income tax calculator can help estimate your average income tax rate and your take home pay.
How many income tax brackets are there in Colombia?
The income tax system in Colombia has seven different tax brackets. For more details, check out our detail section.
Colombia Income Tax Brackets and Other Information
The income tax system in Colombia is a progressive tax system. This means that your income is split into multiple brackets where lower brackets are taxed at lower rates and higher brackets are taxed at higher rates. Tax rates range from 0% to 39%.
For 2022 tax year
|Taxable Income (COP)||Tax Rate|
|From 41,424,360 to 64,606,800||19%|
|From 64,606,800 to 155,816,400||28%|
|From 155,816,400 to 329,494,680||33%|
|From 329,494,680 to 720,935,880||35%|
|From 720,935,880 to 1,178,124,000||37%|
|From 1,178,124,000 onwards||39%|
The tax brackets in Colombia are based on a tax value unit which is called the "Unidad de Valor Tributario" (TVU). This unit is adjusted every year. For 2022, the TVU is set to 38,004 Colombia pesos.
There are no standard deductions or standard tax credits in Colombia. That being said, there are still limited deductions for things like mortgage interest payments, education loan interest payments, healthcare expenses, the presence of dependents, and some charitable contributions, among others.
Social Security in Colombia
The integral social security system of Colombia is composed of the general pensions system, the health social security system, and the general system of professional risks.
For the pension and health system, contributions are based on only a portion of the total salary and are shared between employers and employees. On the other hand, the professional risk system only requires employers to contribute.
Those earning under a certain amount do not have to contribute and there also exists a maximum cap on the income applicable for social security contributions.
High income earners are also subject to an additional contribution to the pension solidarity fund.
Resident status and income tax in Colombia
Those that are considered residents for tax purposes are subject to income tax on worldwide income while those that are considered to be non-residents for tax purposes are subject to income tax only on Colombian sourced income.
For foreign nationals, an individual is considered to be a resident for tax purposes if they stay in Colombia for an aggregate period of at least 183 days within a consecutive period of 365 days. The 183 days do not have to be a continuous stay. If the period containing the 183 days spans over 2 different years, the person will be considered a resident taxpayer for both of those years.
For Colombian nationals, the amount of time spent in Colombia is not relevant and instead, the focus in determining tax residency is on other factors. Some of these factors include if at least half of your income is sourced from Colombia, if at least half of your assets are located or managed in Colombia, if you do not have proof of residency in a foreign place, if you reside in a place considered a tax haven by the government, or if your spouse or dependents stay in Colombia for 183 days out of a 365 day period. If any one of these factors is applicable, then the individual will be considered a resident for tax purposes.
Calculate Your Salary in Other Parts of South America
- The content shown on this page is strictly for educational purposes only. It does not represent advice nor is it a substitute for a professional advisor.
- Estimated results are just estimates. They are not a guarantee of future results.
- While internal calculations are not rounded, all final resultant numbers are rounded normally with numbers ending in 0.5 and above being rounded up.
- Tax situations vary widely and calculations can get very complex. This salary calculator only provides a rough estimate according to the most common scenarios for standard employment income that comes from an employer. If you are self-employed, your taxes might differ.
- There may be additional deductions, credits, exemptions, allowances, reliefs, etc depending on many factors. Some factors are about your family such as the number of dependents, children, relatives, parents, etc. Other factors may include mortgage payments, property depreciation, charitible donations, additional voluntary retirement contributions, etc. Whether or not you are handicapped and/or disabled may also sometimes be an additional factor.
- Depending on region and jurisdiction, salary bonuses may be treated and taxed differently from standard salary.
- Calculators from other sites may show slightly different numbers due to different deductions/credits being included or they are based on data from a different year.
- Generally, we review changes once a year since tax codes usually change once a year. If you notice a major miscalculation or error with our salary calculator (most likely caused by a typo somewhere), feel free to direct message us on twitter and let us know. However, if you have specific questions about your own personal situation, please consult a licensed tax professional.
Ratings for Colombia Salary Calculator
Most Relevant Reviews
Investomatica Comment Policy
Discussions are welcome. Please stay on topic and remember to be kind to each other. If you would like to report a bug or issue with one of our pages or calculators, please direct message us on twitter instead.