eBay Fee Calculator for Canada
Sell smarter with our best in class calculator estimating profit, fees, margins, breakevens, and more for ebay.ca in Canada
(scroll down for other regions)
Total Profit Per ItemError, Please Try Again
Total Profit / Total Revenue
Return on Cost
Total Profit / Item Cost
Average Fee Rate
Total Fees / Total Revenue
Summary of Results
Enter your values into our calculator above to estimate what your fees and profit might potentially be when selling on ebay.ca in Canada. You'll then get your projected results and a quick summary down here.
To learn more about ebay fees in Canada and to see neatly formatted tables of fees per item category, among other useful info, so that you can gain a deeper understanding of how they affect your sales, scroll down to the detail section below!
Table of Contents
eBay Fee Calculators
eBay Motors Fee Calculators
Investomatica's eBay Fee Calculator
Mobile friendly and easy to use web application
- A modern, clean and dynamic interface that's easy to use along with better details and also works just as well on mobile phones as it does on desktop computers. No need for a separate and clunky app on your phone that wastes your storage space. Simply bookmark this page on your mobile browser and you're good to go! Many mobile browsers also let you pin bookmarks onto your home screen for the ultimate convenience. Our web application is also completely free to use.
Automatic calculations and saving
- Our calculator will automatically calculate and re-calculate as you enter and change values.
- Visit often? Our calculator saves you time by automatically saving your last entered numbers and options so you can pick up right where you left off. Note that all data is only stored locally on your browser. If you want to reset the calculator, there's a handy "reset calculator" button. Alternatively, clearing your browser cache works too.
Quickest to update when changes in fees happen
- With a much more robust system in place that keeps track of when ebay makes unannounced changes to their fees and rates, our calculator is the quickest to incorporate new changes.
- Our ebay profit calculator is the only one that includes breakeven analysis for every single scenario that can be configured given our list of options. Give yourself an advantage over your competition by having a much better grasp of where the breakeven point is so that you can have a much better idea of how to price your items and sales.
- If you notice that the fees have changed or if you notice a major miscalculation or error with our ebay fee calculator for Canada, feel free to direct message us on twitter and let us know. Fees may change at anytime with or without warning from ebay.
- The organization of fees is completely different when selling vehicles. As a result, we've separated that into its own calculator as opposed to cramming everything into one. If you're interested in selling vehicles, please check out our eBay Motors Calculator for Canada.
- As of March 30, 2022, eBay Canada has implemented most of their winter 2022 seller update. Some changes include increased final value fees in most categories and an increased below-standard penalty fee, among many other changes and new features.
- Starting from winter 2021, ebay has removed all mentions of paypal integration and fees since their roll out for managed payments has finished. Therefore, our calculator no longer provides an option to calculate associated paypal fees since no sellers are allowed to use paypal anymore and there is no longer any official information about it.
- For our calculator, numbers are rounded to 2 decimal places in the normal fashion. (For example, 1.005 rounds to 1.01) Third-party calculators from other sources may round numbers in a different way and as a result may show slightly different numbers.
- The "Business & Industrial" item category has a few subcategories ("Heavy Equipment", "Commercial Printing Presses" ,"Food Trucks, Trailers & Carts") that have a mandatory $20 insertion fee with no free insertion quotas regardless of any factor. As a result, we've included it within the ebay fee number in our calculations if you select that item category. Otherwise, insertion fees are not included in our calculator as most categories have rather sizeable free quotas.
- There are certain categories that have a lower final value fee if the total amount of the sale is above a certain amount. As a result of this, there is no exact breakeven point (profit of zero) if your costs and prices are in a narrow band around the threshold point. In other words, there's a cutoff point where you either make money or you lose money. In these cases, our calculator provides the lowest sale price you'll need to be able to profit. (So don't be surprised if you take the breakeven price and plug it back into the calculator to see a positive profit amount instead of a zero.)
Frequently Asked Questions
How are fees calculated on ebay Canada?
There are many different types of fees on ebay in Canada. Some of them are calculated based on a percentage amount, some of them are a fixed amount, and some of them combine both percentage and fixed amounts. Note that most percentage based fees include shipping and taxes in their calculations. Making use of an ebay fee calculator to handle these complex fee structures is a good idea.
What percentage does ebay take in Canada?
The main fee is called the final value fee and it varies based on the item category, whether you're an ebay store or not, what plan you're on (if you're an ebay store), and the price of the item. Depending on these factors, the percentage can range from 2.5% to 12.9%. For more details, check out our detail section below.
How much are ebay fees in Canada?
Ebay fees in Canada can range from 2.5% to 12.9% based on a wide variety of factors. This ebay fee calculator displays the estimated fees you can expect to see.
How does ebay calculate the final value fee in Canada?
Ebay calculates the final value fee based on what they call the "total sale amount" which includes shipping. Sales tax is also included in the "total sale amount". Generally, a percentage is multiplied against this, then a fixed fee is sometimes added on top.
Details about eBay Seller Fees in Canada
The primary seller fee that ebay charges is called the final value fee. This fee is calculated on the total sale amount which includes shipping plus sales tax and varies based on three main factors which are:
- the item category
- whether you're an ebay store or not
- if you're an ebay store, what plan you're on
We've included two tables below that outline this selling fee in each of these scenarios.
The final value fee can be further modified depending on your seller status.
Top Rated Sellers
For "Top Rated" sellers, ebay provides a discount of 10% off the percentage portion of their final value fee which typically shows up at the end of the month when you receive your invoice. There are many various terms associated with how this discount works. We'll list some of the most prominent ones here. You must be a resident of the country in which you're top rated in order to qualify for this discount. There may be special requirements depending on the item category. For the rest of the details, please refer to ebay's documentation. When you select the "Top Rated" option in our calculator, we're assuming you've checked and made sure you qualify for the discount.
Note that this discount is calculated off of your fees and not on the amount of the sale. For example, if the fee was originally 11%, your fees would not go to 1% with the "Top Rated" 10% discount. The discount itself would simply be your fee multiplied by 10%, which would then be subtracted from your total fees.
Sellers not meeting performance expectations
On the other hand, "Below Standard" sellers (which ebay sometimes refers to as "sellers not meeting performance expectations") get a penalty in the way of an extra 6% fee on top of their existing final value fee. In contrast to the "Top Rated" discount, this penalty fee is calculated off of the total amount of the sale.
Another form of sellers not meeting performance expectations are those that have "Item not as described" return requests marked as "Very High" in their service metrics dashboard within their seller hub interface on ebay. Sellers with this status are charged an additional 5% on the final value fees for sales in affected categories in the following calendar month.
Note that if your account has both of the above "below expectations" statuses, ebay documentation explicitly states that only the "below standard" penalty will apply, which happens to be the higher of the two.
Additionally, there are supplemental fees for selling internationally, promoting your listing, potentially having sales tax processed, and various other miscellaneous selling fees like making the title of your listing bold, for example. Our calculator should be able to handle all of these too. Just make sure to click on the right switches to indicate so and enter your values. If you're looking for more details about these, please see their corresponding details sections below.
Note that the final value fee is only applied when you successfully complete a sale.
Table 1 of Final Value Fees
- When you're either not an ebay store or you're an ebay store on the starter plan
Final value fee % + $0.30 per order
Most categories, including Automotive > Parts & Accessories, Automotive Tools & Supplies, and Safety & Security Accessories. For vehicles, see our Motors fees.
First 250 listings free per month, then $0.30 per listing
Coins & Paper Money > Bullion
Art > Art NFTs
Select Collectibles categories:
Movies & TV > Movie NFTs
Music > Music NFTs
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Sport Trading Card NFTs
Toys & Hobbies > Collectible Card Games > CCG NFTs
Select Business & Industrial categories:
Musical Instruments & Gear > Guitars & Basses
Select Clothing, Shoes & Accessories categories:
Free if starting price is $150 or more*
* Starting price is the starting price (auction-style listings) or Buy It Now price (fixed price listings) of your listing, and doesn't include shipping, handling, taxes, or fees.
Table 2 of Final Value Fees
- When you're an ebay store on the basic plan or higher
|Basic, Premium, and Anchor Store subscribers|
|Category||Final value fee % + $0.30 per order|
|Most Art categories, except:|
|Books & Magazines|
|Most Business & Industrial categories, except:|
|Most Cameras & Photo categories, except:|
|Most Cell Phones & Accessories categories, except:|
|Most Clothing, Shoes & Accessories categories, except:|
|Most Coins & Paper Money categories, except:|
|Most Collectibles categories, except:|
|Most Computers/Tablets & Networking categories, except:|
|Most Consumer Electronics categories, except:|
|Dolls & Bears|
|Health & Beauty|
|Home & Garden|
|Jewellery & Watches|
|eBay Motors > Parts & Accessories > Car & Truck Parts & Accessories > Wheels, Tires & Parts > Tires|
|eBay Motors > Parts & Accessories > Apparel, Protective Gear & Merchandise|
|eBay Motors > Parts & Accessories > In-Car Technology, GPS & Security|
|Most Movies & TV categories, except:|
|Most Music categories, except:|
|Most Musical Instruments & Gear categories, except:|
|Pottery & Glass|
|Most Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop categories, except:|
|Most Toys & Hobbies categories, except:|
|Most Video Games & Consoles categories, except:|
|All other categories|
- There is an additional 0.4% for international sales to the US and an additional 1% for international sales to the rest of the world. This is calculated off of the "total sale amount", which includes shipping and sales tax.
Promoted Listings Fee
- A Promoted Listings fee is charged based on the ad rate selected by the seller. The ad rate is a percentage of the total amount of the sale, which includes shipping and sales tax. In other words, it's calcuated in the same method as the final value fee. Note that this fee is only charged when a buyer clicks on the promoted listing and purchases the promoted item within 30 days of that click. Additionally, the fee is based on the ad rate that was in effect when the promoted listing was last clicked on by the buyer.
Other Miscellaneous Fees
- For details about other miscellaneous selling fees, such as optional listing upgrade fees and classified ad fees, please check on ebay's website.
Notes about Sales Tax in Canada
- Sales tax in Canada exists in the form of a value added tax (VAT) that goes by several terms depending on the location. These terms include GST, HST, PST, etc.
- Sales tax varies based on the province and is applied on both the sales revenue and ebay fees. We do not automatically provide this information but we do provide a comprehensive database where you can lookup the latest sales tax rates along with a field in our calculator where you can enter the rate if desired.
- Sales tax is generally charged on total revenue which includes both the item sold price and shipping charge. However, some locations do not charge sales tax on shipping. For example, RST is not charged on shipping within Manitoba. Additionally, if shipping within Saskatchewan, shipping charges are not taxable if the charges are shown separately. Our calculator provides a field where you can specify whether sales tax should be applied on total revenue or only on the item price.
- As far as sales tax on revenue goes, ebay automatically collects this from buyers when applicable. In other words, it is the buyer who pays this tax so this will not directly cut into your profit. However, it can still indirectly affect your profit since the total sale amount used in fee calculations sometimes includes sales tax.
- As far as tax (GST) on fees go, ebay will automatically calculate and include these too according to your registered location.
- Investomatica is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with ebay.
- While we try our best to stay up to date with changes in fee rules and structures, estimated results are just estimates. They are not a guarantee of future results. It is your responsibility to conduct your own due diligence before making any business decision. Nothing here constitutes advice.
- If you notice that the fees have changed or if you notice a major miscalculation or error with our calculator, feel free to direct message us on twitter and let us know. However, if you have specific questions regarding your ebay account, please directly contact ebay support.
Calculate Fees and Profit for Other PlatformseBay Motors CalculatorEtsy CalculatorPoshmark CalculatorStockX CalculatorMercari Calculator
Ratings for eBay Fee Calculator for Canada
Most Relevant Reviews
Investomatica Comment Policy
Discussions are welcome. Please stay on topic and remember to be kind to each other. If you would like to report a bug or issue with one of our pages or calculators, please direct message us on twitter instead.